First-Aid Treatment for Poisoning Part 2

About the proper first-aid treatments for people suffering from poisoning or ingestion of poisonous chemicals or skin contamination.

POISONING

4. Do not induce vomiting if:

a. the patient is unconscious;

b. the patient is in convulsions;

c. the patient has ingested a corrosive poison or has a severe burning sensation in his or her mouth (which indicates corrosive poisoning).

5. If the poison is corrosive, call your nearest Poison Control Center or emergency hospital quickly for further instructions.

6. If the poison is noncorrosive, induce vomiting. The best way is to give one tablespoon (for a child) of syrup of ipecac. Then follow with a glass of milk or water.

If you don't have syrup of ipecac, then put 2 tablespoons of salt in a glass of water. For a child aged 1-5, give 1-2 cups; beyond 5 years give as much as 4 cups.

Or put the blunt end of a spoon at the back end of his throat while holding him face down on your lap.

7. When vomiting begins, keep the patient face down with his head lower than his hips (across your lap) to prevent the vomit from entering his lungs.

8. After the patient's vomiting is over, call the nearest Poison Control Center or emergency hospital.

9. If the patient doesn't vomit by any of these means in 15 minutes, take him immediately to the nearest Poison Control Center or emergency hospital.

10. Treat for shock.

11. Save the poison container, the intact label, and any remaining poison to take to the doctor; if none is available, then bring in some of the vomit for examination.

Skin Contamination

1. Drench skin with running water. Continue this for 10 minutes.

2. Remove any affected clothing simultaneously with the drenching.

3. Cover the area loosely with a clean cloth.

4. Do not apply ointments, greases, powders, etc., and do not give alcohol.

5. Treat for shock and call a doctor.

6. Take the container, intact label, and any remaining poison to the doctor.

Eye Contamination

Speed is of the essence here too.

1. Pry the eyelids apart and gently pour or run moderately warm water over the eyeball. Continue for 5 minutes.

2. Do not use any chemicals in the eye as it may cause further damage.

3. Seek medical assistance immediately.

Inhaled Poisonous Fumes or Smoke

1. Immediately carry patient into fresh air; do not let him walk as it uses up too much oxygen.

2. Loosen all tight clothing, including undergarments.

3. If breathing has stopped or is irregular, then apply artificial respiration immediately. (See: Breathing Difficulty or Stoppage.) Continue until patient has recovered or is pronounced dead by a doctor.

4. If patient is convulsing, keep him in bed in a semidark room; avoid jarring or noise.

5. Treat for shock and summon medical aid.

You Are Here: Trivia-Library Home » How to Prepare and Use a First-Aid Supply Kit » First-Aid Treatment for Poisoning Part 2
« First-Aid Treatment for Poisoning Part 1First-Aid Treatment for Shock »
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ - By printing, downloading, or using you agree to our full terms. Review the full terms at the following URL: /disclaimer.htm