Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel Murders Part 2

About the case of Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel murders which plagued London in the late 19th century, the murderer, Gen Charles Warren on the hunt.


Of the hundreds of letters which purported to be prose written by the Ripper, at least 3 are genuine: the letter mentioned above and 2 which followed the double murder of September 30. One arrived the morning after the double murders were committed, again addressed to the Central News Agency, a bloody fingerprint decorating its envelope.

I was not codding, dear Boss, when I gave you the tip. You'll hear about Saucy Jack's work tomorrow. Double event this time. Number One squealed a bit; couldn't finish straight off. Had no time to get ears for police. Jack the Ripper.

The 3rd note turned up on October 16, addressed to the head of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee, George Lusk. It came in a cardboard box which appeared also to contain a piece of Catherine Eddowes's purloined kidney:

From Hell, Mr. Lusk, sir, I send you half the kidne I took from one woman, prasarved it for you, tother piece I fried and ate it; was very nice. I may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate while longer. Catch me when you can, Mr. Lusk.

On November 9, 1888, the landlord of a small East End tenement sent his man around to evict a whore who had fallen behind in her rent. Unable to enter the locked front door, the man peeked through a broken window to discover Mary Kelly dead on her blood-soaked mattress, victim of one of the most savage mutilation murders in the history of crime. And with the murder of Mary Kelly, Jack the Ripper vanished, leaving behind a trail of blood and terror. He was never apprehended.

The Hunt: Gen Sir Charles Warren was appointed metropolitan police commissioner in 1886, due to his ability to handle the Bantu in Griqualand West, and due also to the supposition that a military man was needed to bring to an end the increasing demonstrations by the unemployed. Sir Charles lost no time in putting his military skill to work, winning rapidly the hatred and derision of the poor and jobless. It was Warren who was responsible for 1887's "Bloody Sunday," sending his "troops" against a large demonstration in Trafalgar Square, wounding hundreds, killing 2. It was this man who was put in charge of the Whitechapel case.

The investigation was characterized by military strategy and comic ineptitude. It confined itself almost completely to the criminal haunts found in the East End slums, as mediums, detectives in drag, and even bloodhounds were called upon to give their best. In the case of the latter, the "best" the 2 chosen dogs could give was to lose themselves promptly. In the case of the "plainclothes" policemen, one constable was beaten soundly for being a pervert, then beaten even harder for being a copper. At one point, photographs were taken of some of the murdered women's eyes because it was believed the image of the killer would be indelibly imprinted there. The results of this, too, were decidedly less than positive.

Some have suggested that the undeniable mishandling of the case was part of a deliberate cover-up. During the inquests for the various murders, many key witnesses went uncalled and allegedly Warren, himself, ordered that a piece of evidence be destroyed, after the discovery of Catherine Eddowes's body. More and more public censure was directed at the bemonocled head of Sir Charles until, on the day of the Kelly slaying, Warren was forced to turn in his resignation.

You Are Here: Trivia-Library Home » Weird and Bizarre Murderers and Killers » Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel Murders Part 2
« Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel Murders Part 1Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel Murders Part 3 »
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ - By printing, downloading, or using you agree to our full terms. Review the full terms at the following URL: /disclaimer.htm