Religions and Their Famous Members Mormons
A list of famous Mormons including statesmen, athletes, and artists.
RELIGIONS AND THEIR FAMOUS FLOCKS
1. Brigham Young, U.S., 1801-1887.
Mormon convert, missionary, and colonist whose practice of polygamy (he had 27 wives) led to his being replaced as territorial governor of Utah.
2. Joseph Smith, U.S., 1805-1844.
Founder of the Mormon faith and candidate for the U.S. presidency in 1844 when he was arrested in Illinois, then dragged from his cell by an anti-Mormon mob and murdered.
3. Reed Smoot, U.S., 1862-1941.
First Mormon to be elected to the U.S. Senate (1902).
4. Gutzon Borglum, U.S., 1867-1941.
Sculptor most noted for the 60-ft. heads of U.S. presidents on Mt. Rushmore, S.D., a project that took 14 years to complete.
5. Harvey Fletcher, U.S., 1884-.
Known as the father of stereophonic sound, Fletcher developed the world's first stereophonic system.
6. Jack Dempsey, U.S., 1895-.
Former world heavyweight champion. "Jack-Mormons," a term referring to inactive church members, may have been coined in his honor.
7. Ezra Taft Benson, U.S., 1899-.
Controversial secretary of agriculture during the Eisenhower administration and next in line for the presidency of the Mormon Church.
8. J. Willard Marriott, U.S., 1900-.
Former director of American Motors Corp. and currently director and chairman of the Marriott Corp.
9. David M. Kennedy, U.S., 1905-.
Secretary of the treasury and ambassador to NATO during the Nixon administration.
10. Philo T. Farnsworth, U.S., 1906-1971.
Radio and television research engineer and innovator.
11. George Romney, U.S., 1907-.
Politician and former governor of Michigan.
12. James A. "Dinosaur Jim" Jensen, U.S., 1918-.
Discovered both the world's largest and smallest dinosaurs; his archaeological findings verified the theory of continental drift.
13. Jack Anderson, U.S., 1922-.
Syndicated columnist and muckraker.
14. Billy Casper, U.S., 1931-.
15. Gene Fullmer, U.S., 1931-.
Former world middleweight boxing champion.
16. Harmon Killebrew, U.S., 1936-.
Professional baseball player.
17. Johnny Miller, U.S., 1940-.
18. Merlin Olsen, U.S., 1940-.
Former professional football player.
19. Donny Osmond, U.S., 1958-.
20. Marie Osmond, U.S., 1960-.
Brother-sister singers popular among teenagers.
|You Are Here: Trivia-Library Home » Religions, Beliefs and Their Famous Members » Religions and Their Famous Members Mormons|
|DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ - By printing, downloading, or using you agree to our full terms. Review the full terms at the following URL: /disclaimer.htm|