Religions and Their Famous Members Presbyterians
A list of famous Presbyterians including statesmen, athletes, and artists.
RELIGIONS AND THEIR FAMOUS FLOCKS
1. Peter Minuit, Dutch, 1580-1638.
Spiritual descendant of Calvinists in France (Huguenots) and the Netherlands (Reformed Church), he was a deacon in the Reformed Church and director general of New Netherland (New York) and New Sweden (Delaware) and bought the island of Manhattan from the Indians for $24.
2. Andrew Jackson, U.S., 1767-1845.
Seventh president of the U.S., he was succeeded in office by six other Presbyterians, the last of whom was Dwight D. Eisenhower, a convert while in the White House.
3. Jomo Kenyatta, Kenyan, 1891-.
President of the Republic of Kenya. He was baptized in the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) and, despite his general program of africanization, he still considers himself a Christian.
4. Hendrik Verwoerd, South African, 1901-1966.
Prime minister of the Republic of South Africa.
5. Carl McIntyre, U.S., 1906-.
Presbyterian minister and anti-Communist, he founded the American and International Council of Churches in order to protest liberal trends in the National and World Councils of Churches.
6. Warren E. Burger, U.S., 1907-.
Chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
7. Juliana, Dutch, 1909-.
Queen of the Netherlands, she is a member of the state church (Reformed).
8. Dean Rusk, U.S., 1909-.
U.S. secretary of state.
9. Lucille Ball, U.S., 1911-.
Actress, comedienne, and business executive.
10. Ronald Reagan, U.S., 1911-.
Actor, politician, and governor of California.
11. Robert McNamara, U.S., 1916-.
U.S. secretary of defense; president of the World Bank.
12. David Brinkley, U.S., 1920-.
Journalist and broadcaster.
13. Melvin Laird, U.S., 1922-.
U.S. secretary of defense.
14. Dick Van Dyke, U.S., 1925-.
Actor and comedian.
15. Ian Paisley, Irish, 1926-.
Leader of the working-class militant Protestant movement in Northern Ireland, he is a Presbyterian minister and member of Parliament.
16. Walter Mondale, U.S., 1928-.
Vice-president of the U.S.
17. Frank Gifford, U.S., 1930-.
Professional football player and sportscaster.
18. Debbie Reynolds, U.S., 1932-.
Actress and singer.
19. Carol Lawrence, U.S., 1934-.
|You Are Here: Trivia-Library Home » Religions, Beliefs and Their Famous Members » Religions and Their Famous Members Presbyterians|
|DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ - By printing, downloading, or using you agree to our full terms. Review the full terms at the following URL: /disclaimer.htm|