Science Fiction Predictions Hugo Gernsback Part 2
About the predictions of major sci-fi writer Hugo Gernsback and his book Ultimate World includes a number of his successful science and technology predictions.
PREDICTIONS FROM SCIENCE FICTION
Predictor: HUGO GERNSBACK
Book: ULTIMATE WORLD
Published in 1971, but written in 1959.
* Automatically air-conditioned sports arenas.
* TV images broadcast via satellite by 1970.
* First Moon landing by 1975.
* Solar energy cells.
* Spy satellites.
* Videotaping equipment available on TV sets by 1990.
* Temperature-controlled couches (1996).
* The cosmiflyer, a 6-in. cosmic power generator strapped to one's back, is used for short-distance aerial transit.
* Self-contained atomic power plants in each home.
* Lunar bases in the Moon's interior.
* Perfume aphrodisiacs that work.
* Passenger service to the Moon.
* First sexual intercourse in outer space.
* Electronic glass pane air-conditioning units.
* Energy force fields.
* Transmission of physical objects over long distances.
* Viewers that can see through walls.
* Invasion by aliens from outer space.
* Solid objects can be resonated by cosmic wave transmitters so that they become, in effect, verbal transmitters themselves; during emergencies, the walls of a house, and the objects contained therein, reverberate with the emergency-broadcast signals. In this way, every citizen is immediately aware of a situation requiring his attention.
* Gravitational propulsion systems.
* Radiation bombs that can kill millions, but leave property intact (now under development by the U.S. government, according to news reports).
* Synthesis of the 112th element.
* World population approaching 6 billion.
* Synthetic substitutes for newsprint; the impressions on the pages of newspapers are made while the sheets are still wet.
* Amplifiers that will pick up sounds in a house 20 mi. away.
* The alien invaders of Earth can induce hypnosis telepathically, at a distance.
* Ultrasound, modulated with X rays, can blot out harmful memories from a person's brain.
* Total absorption of radar waves (a radar cloaking device).
* Atomic spaceship propulsion.
* Regeneration of human limbs from cancerous cells.
* Weather control.
* Controlled lightning used as a weapon.
* Sound bombs.
* Watches that register the time from signals broadcast by TV stations.
* Computers translate 10 languages simultaneously.
* TV images are projected 6 ft. in front of the set, giving the impression that the speaker is really standing in the empty space before the viewer.
* Manned spaceflight to Jupiter.
* Telepathy (mind reading and communication).
* The ability to increase human intelligence with brain implants.
* Mining of lunar resources.
* Radioactive radio waves.
* Space patrols to clear away abandoned space junk.
* Tampering with human genes to produce hereditary improvements in the race.
* Atomic flash-ray lamps to photograph minute internal parts of the body.
* Use of X rays in outer space as a power resource.
* Atomic-powered lights.
* Ultrahigh-frequency electronic baths to remove dirt and other foreign particles from the human body.
|You Are Here: Trivia-Library Home » Predictions From Science Fiction » Science Fiction Predictions Hugo Gernsback Part 2|
|DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ - By printing, downloading, or using you agree to our full terms. Review the full terms at the following URL: /disclaimer.htm|