Troubleshooter's Guide to Appliances Dishwasher
A short troubleshooting guide to help you diagnose and fix problems with your dishwasher.
HANDY CHECKLIST FOR INDIVIDUAL APPLIANCES
Problem: Does not operate.
1. Cause: No power to unit.
Remedy: Check fuse in dishwasher circuit. Make sure plug is in securely when using a portable unit.
2. Cause: Door latch not completely closed.
Remedy: Reclose door and latch securely.
3. Cause: Cycle control not on proper setting.
Remedy: Adjust control to proper setting per manufacturer's instructions.
Problem: Does not fill with water and light is on, indicating there is power to the dishwasher.
1. Cause: Faucet not open (portable models) or shut-off valves on water lines are closed.
Remedy: Check faucets or shut-off valves to be sure they are open.
2. Cause: Low water pressure in plumbing system.
Remedy: Check for adequate water pressure by opening a faucet in another area of the house. If pressure is low, call the water company or a plumber. Do not use water for other purposes requiring large quantities-showers, clothes washing-while dishwasher is operating.
Problem: Motor hums but dishwasher does not operate.
1. Cause: Object jamming the impeller or spray arm.
Remedy: Turn off dishwasher and remove object. If this is not possible, call serviceman.
Problem: Detergent remains in cup dispenser after washing cycle has been completed.
1. Cause: Old detergent caked in cup, or detergent allowed to stand in cup too long before dishwasher is turned on.
Remedy: Follow manufacturer's instructions on amount and correct type of detergent to use. To prevent detergent from caking in cup, always make sure cup is dry before filling with detergent. Also check to see if water is hot enough, or whether dishes or pots and pans could be blocking flow of water to dispenser.
2. Cause: Control malfunction.
Remedy: If malfunction continues, call serviceman.
Problem: Water won't empty out.
1. Cause: Restriction or kink in drain hose or obstruction in house drainage system.
Remedy: Turn off dishwasher, clean strainer and drain according to manufacturer's instructions.
Problem: Dishes not clean.
1. Cause: Water not hot enough.
Remedy: For proper dishwashing, water should be 150 deg. at faucet. Have water-heater thermostat adjusted per manufacturer's instructions. On portable dishwashers, allow water to run hot from faucet before starting dishwasher.
2. Cause: Dishes and/or cutlery not properly prepared or loaded.
Remedy: Scrape dishes. Follow manufacturer's instructions for proper loading.
3. Cause: Dishwasher drain clogged.
Remedy: Clean drain and strainer in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.
Problem: Dishwasher leaks when in operation.
1. Cause: Wrong type of detergent.
Remedy: Follow manufacturer's instructions on type and amount of detergent to use. Use dishwasher detergent only.
2. Cause: Dishwasher not level.
Remedy: Check position of dishwasher with level. If not perfectly level, adjust leveling screws on base. If there are no leveling screws, insert thin strips of wood under base to bring unit level.
3. Cause: Faulty gasket on door.
Remedy: Have gasket replaced.
Problem: Loud noises inside dishwasher when in operation.
1. Cause: Improper loading or loosely loaded utensils.
Remedy: Follow manufacturer's instructions for loading.
|You Are Here: Trivia-Library Home » Troubleshooter's Guide to Kitchen and Household Appliances » Troubleshooter's Guide to Appliances Dishwasher|
|DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ - By printing, downloading, or using you agree to our full terms. Review the full terms at the following URL: /disclaimer.htm|